Vyndetta

Questions, Comments, Suggestions

New to this server, but generally not new to the Knight Online scene.

Right off the bat:
Question?
1) Why does any piece of gear a character equips give resistances - even if the gear gives no resistance at all?

Comment:

That sort of defeats the purpose of specializing on the type of gear a character wears, i.e. the need of Goblin gear or accessories that focus on resistances as opposed to majority of gear just being focused       on HP, STR, DEX stats (every character class is practically the same because of this). Inherently, this also helps passively neutralize the Mage class if every character gets free resistances. On top of that, Glacier and Lightning resistance inherently has 20/20, but Fire has 0. On top of this, mages almost seem useless - yes, you have a video of a paper mage with elemental rings fire blading someone; but, how often are you going to see a paper mage going melee like that without dying in a matter of seconds to a fully geared sin? And on top of that, what's the damage of a glacier or lightning mage? I can tell you it is a LOT less. Battle mages are incredibly rare. It would also make other mages other than support mages much more viable and will also make other elements equally priced and sought after - there is no reason a Fire staff should be 5x the price of a Glacier staff with the Lightning staff in the middle at barely more expensive than glacier - lightning/glacier is far better in comparison to fire when it comes to PVP viability due to the stuns and slows (which this server is 99% of the time), yet it is incredibly cheap and insanely weak in comparison on this server.

Suggestion:

Make the base resistance for characters 0 for everything - fire, lightning, poison, etc; disable getting free resistances from having gear that has 0 resistances. This would open up a lot of doors for not only mages, but also elemental type gear since their damage will also increase without having to dump a fortune on boosted elemental stats for accessories - you guys are pretty much making it the only way to obtain the highest damage ( at least that I see with the ranger class - needing a +8 helenid with two +1 glacier rings [does anyone even have that?] to fight a sin in an arena setting; you'll never have that much of a disadvantage for an assassin in a CZ type setting )

Question?

2) What do resistances ACTUALLY do? (No, not the self explanatory "common sense" bull shit)

Comment:

Example: What does MAGIC Attack Resistance do compared to ELEMENTAL type resistance? Does having higher resistance make you less likely to be Stunned or Slowed by a Lightning or Glacier mage? If someone has high INT, does it make them less likely to be affected by a status ailment compared to someone with lower INT since their MAGIC Attack Resistance will be higher? I have tested some of this very quickly:

Out of approximately 30 hits on a priest with Lightning Blade, I stunned 3 times; Frost Blade ended in 0 slows (not sure if that is even able to slow, but if it does have a chance, it is virtually non-existent and the tooltip should say that the ICE skill DOES NOT slow for some odd reason)

Out of approximately 20 hits on an assassin with Lightning Blade, I stunned 0 times; Frost Blade ended in 0 slows ("    ")

And even the skills that say THEY SLOW on hit only have like a 25% or so chance of actually doing it - even with the long cast time that mages have that is incredibly painful for a mage.

How does the chance of being stunned or slow even work? And this isn't even with mages; do DODGE, ATTACK POWER, ACCURACY changes actually work in this game? The assassin's illusion made 0 difference with how often I got hit in a short test. If they do work, maybe you would see even more build variety. I know from a mob I randomly saw a 25% dodge belt that I thought was cool, but knowing Knight Online, all that stuff does not work.

Suggestion:

Update tooltips with correct information that is useful to a player like any other MMO game - it will actually inform the player what DOES and DOESNT work and tell players what skills ACTUALLY do as opposed to simply stating "250% attack" or "skill will slow" etc, etc; if something says it will SLOW, then ACTUALLY make it slow without. 

Question?

3) Why haven't you implemented some sort of calculator or spread sheet on how stats work and correlate to each other? How does a character's ATTACK POWER correlate to the amount of AC or Defense a character has for example? 

Comment:

I saw that someone had asked about a character calculator before and was laughed at with it being "common sense." Well, actually it isn't common sense since the game itself hides A LOT of stuff in the shadows, and as players, we do not have access to the actual files or code that explains why things do what.

Example: What does the damage calculation look like in terms of ATTACK POWER vs AC? How much DEFENSE/AC do you need before you start getting diminishing returns? What does the graph look like? Is it a linear x/y graph or is it a parabola with the peak being the best bang for your buck in terms of DEFENSE/AC? I assume it is simply linear since you also added additional AC buffs to gear for the game. But this is just an example. I spiked a naked priest (no gear or accessories) with wolf on and did right under 2k damage, but with the simple 300 AC buff, the damage shot down to approximately 1.1k, and after fully geared, the damage shot down to 700-800. Why was the gap from 2k to 1.1k so great for only 300 AC, but small in comparison to a high increase of DEFENSE. What is the calculation difference? It would be greatly appreciated if there was more in-depth information on HOW things work as opposed to just seeing REALLY WIDE ranges when doing PvP and PvE (spiking a monster for 4,500 and then the same monster for 3,000 is a range that has no information behind for example)

Suggestion:

Make some sort of calculator or spreadsheet with all the data at your hands. Show what the chance of being stunned or slow is - if you have X amount of resistance, then you have Y amount chance of being status affected (IF THAT EVEN CHANGES ANYTHING); if you have X amount of defense or AC, then you have Y% damage reduction, if you have 1500 ATTACK POWER, then you can expect to do X amount of damage to someone with Y amount of defense and Z amount of AC (depending on class because I know it IS different; my sin took more damage from a battle priest than my mage in testing even though my sin defense was a lot higher, etc)

Question?

4) Why were Mages and Rangers nerfed to the ground in terms of being able to cancel spell casts? 

Comment:

The only explanation I saw from staff was "it was annoying." Like, what? That is the worst way to deal with the problem. If "annoyance" is an issue then it is incredibly annoying that sins can have 2 minor healings on their skill bar or that they can run around invisible for extended periods. Is that going to be fixed now? It better be with that logic. Why is it OK for a worm outside of Moradon to cancel my cast but a ranger or a meteor cannot? Yes, it was annoying having Ranger parties or Mage parties - sure, I will give you that; but when you completely delete that aspect of the game, then the positioning skills of a priest, for example, in PVP becomes a lot less important since you can stand in the center and cast healing all day. That's what made archers and mages dangerous - because they had to be found and located in PVP because they would cancel casts and kill squishy characters. With how it is now, it seems the only way they would be efficient is if you had several of them focus the same target so it dies instantly, otherwise it will just heal to full and burn all your cooldowns.

Suggestion:

Instead of completely getting rid of their ability to cancel things, why not give them a % to cancel instead? Something like a Ranger has a 20% chance to cancel a channeling spell, while a Mage has 50% or something due to their long cast times. In PVP, a meteor, for example, would only potentially cancel half of heals going on AT THAT SPECIFIC MOMENT (important), while a ranger (if able to get more than a handful of shots off without having to run away) has a low chance to cancel a party heal or meteor that is coming his way over the course of a fight.

Question?

5) Will you put information out on what each class's Master skills do?

Comment:

I see that there is a guide on HOW to obtain the master skills of each class, but there is no information on here or any other website (that I could find) that gave information on what the skills actually did - I would like to not have to level up a character and do their master class quests to see what skills each class has.

Suggestion:

Simple just add the information to the guide. "At level 60, you need these materials for this or that skill. This or that skill does x,y,z"

Ending:

I would appreciate some actual USEFUL feedback to these questions, not only for me but also for the forum and other players - this is an active KO server and any improvement or clarification on things would be incredibly beneficial, not only with information but also with seeing more of certain classes and not the same classes over and over everywhere you go. The "common sense" answer is not welcomed due to my in-depth comments, examples, and suggestions I have supplied. These are thoughtful questions that deserve a thoughtful answer.

Edited by Vyndetta

Question?
1) Why does any piece of gear a character equips give resistances - even if the gear gives no resistance at all?

Answer: Because stun rates are hard-coded in 1299 files and we cannot change them, the only solution to ensure not everyone is getting rekt 100% of the time
is to add at least base resistances to the armor, and even with those, the stun/slow rate is still insane. This helps with the issue, albeit
still annoying, mage is a class played in a group of 8, which causes serious slow/stun success rate.

Question?

2) What do resistances ACTUALLY do? (No, not the self explanatory "common sense" bull shit)

Answer: They decrease the chance of being slowed/stunned. Once skill is cast on you game draws an RNG number, if the number is lower then your total resistance, you get stunned or slowed, if it's within your resistance range, you should be OK. If you'd have 0 resistance, this mean you'd actually be slowed/stunned EVERYTIME. And since the RNG is already iffy, you already get stunned and slowed a shitton. This shouldn't be looked at from a single char perspective, but from a PK based, gameplay perspective. People play mages in groups of 8, hitting 8 stun or slow skills, while 1 will for sure affect you. Due to that fire skills deal the highest damage, while slow/ice skills, has lowered damages as they have the perk of stunning or slowing.

MP Acessory doesn't really do anything in 1299, it only helps with monsters in 1299 and doesn't increase damage to the actual PvP damage dealt.

suggestion:

Update tooltips with correct information that is useful to a player like any other MMO game - it will actually inform the player what DOES and DOESNT work and tell players what skills ACTUALLY do as opposed to simply stating "250% attack" or "skill will slow" etc, etc; if something says it will SLOW, then ACTUALLY make it slow without. 

Answer: We are a private server, we actually expect you to be familiar with the game and basic game mechanics (that are the same for 20+years), it doesn't really seem like our job to explain how malaysian's developed the game back-end, no hot water to be found here and no special things done to it that would overwrite the default game design.

Question?

3) Why haven't you implemented some sort of calculator or spread sheet on how stats work and correlate to each other? How does a character's ATTACK POWER correlate to the amount of AC or Defense a character has for example? 

Answer: We don't have the time nor the will to reverse-engineer base ebenezer to output you the exact variables and calculations. We balance our database and classes  through skill testing, middle tier gear and skilled KO players, we don't actually balance anything based on back end formulas, but based on testing ourselves.  I don't even see Steam KO providing you with an official calculator, why do you think a private server that is ran as a hobby would develop it?

Question?

4) Why were Mages and Rangers nerfed to the ground in terms of being able to cancel spell casts? 

They weren't nerfed at all. To put it frankly, the mage team that hit the stun aoe skill first, stunned the other mage team pretty much at a 100% success rate and they just waited to be killed, which made group gameplay non-enjoyable.
This patch was implemented to make PK and gameplay more enjoyable:
1. All mage aoe skills 33,45,60,70 now CAN NOT CANCEL priest party heals and other 45+ LV healing skills.
2. All mage aoe skills also CAN NOT CANCEL another mage team's casting of aoe skills!
3. Archer's dark pursuer skill and shadow hunter skill CAN NOT cancel any priest heals (45+) or any mage AOE casting skill also

(Why? Lighning works so agressively, it was 100% cancel when 8 mages form a party, this solves it, and mages still kill everyone with 8 novas)

Quests info bars etc.

Answer: Basically you're OCD about the quests that are self-explanatory and same for the past 20 years, people know them by memory (again, we're a private server, users that join, join with knowledge already, and if a newcomer comes to a private server, he quite franky, stands no chance as everyone has at least basic form of combo knowledge, which can only be taught through pratice). Majority is available in Guides section anyway.

Master skills: What do they do?

Answer: They do what is described, once you red-ball the master bonus actives and reduces damage input.

Ending:

You're probably not going to like these answers, but I couldn't even read through your post without getting a headache  from all the statistics questions.

To be honest, you're very intrigued about learning of KO fundamentals, which even i couldn't bore myself with (really honest answer), so I suggest you to join a KO dev forum:  http://ko4life.net/ and you'll learn much more.

This is a server mostly for old players known from myko era. Focus is not to guide everything to pin point but only cruicial things that are custom to the server. We assume the player's joining are familiar with basics of MYKO knight online concept. Nor we intent to develope a bullet proof noob guide. You will have to turn to community and older players for those answers 😛

We are not going to provide you technical guides on skills as there is no need. Skills mechanics are those of myko times 2004 2005 or so.

Hidden resistances are added partially to balance the ice and stun rates which are harder to balance out on regular basis as original MYKO client had.

That's pretty much all you need to know 😄 Have fun and enjoy the server. Server it's highly skill based. If you don't have flawless combo in your fingers, minor healing mechanics (if you are rogue), know the concept of mage team game play and builds. IT IS GOING TO BE HARD FOR YOU 😉

Best regards